- What is Holz100 and how is Holz100 made? Holz100 is an unrivaled product made of cross laminated solid wooden boards hydraulically press-bound by beech wooden dowels making it into a revolutionary product with absolutely no glue, chemicals, or metal nails. Holz100's prefabricated wooden living spaces have set world records in heat insulation, air conditioning, energy savings, indoor air quality, soundproofing, and fire/earthquake protection.
- How many projects have you built? In 2009, Holz100 houses could already be found in 25 countries. We have built over a thousand projects internationally.
- Is your product a frame or finished wall, ceiling and floor? Our pure solid wood frame results in a building envelope / shell that consists of all walls, ceilings, floors, and roofs from the first floor and up.
- What is inside the wall? Every wall consists of 100% unadulterated, pure, solid wooden boards and wooden dowels without any other additives.
- What is moonwood? The exclusive material used in Holz100 construction is called “moonwood“, which refers to the lunar phase in which it‘s harvested. Such harvesting is an ancient method of preserving timber by cutting wood according to the phases of the moon. Like the tides of the ocean the moon also influences the rise and fall of the sap in a tree. The wood is cut in the autumn and winter months when trees are hibernating. During these months the sap in the tree is at its lowest in the days before the new moon. Harvesting at this crucial time is a simple and natural way of protecting the wood from insect and fungus, thus increasing its durability.
- Do you have any preservative for wood or any protection? Using the highest quality of wood by harvesting and drying in the most ideal time, place and duration results in highly durable and long-lasting wood that requires no preservatives, additives, retardants, or any other additives.
- How to protect the wood? If you want to treat wooden surfaces, use only natural bees wax or resins.
- Do you have any evidence or scientific studies done to prove the benefits of moonwood? Yes, we specifically recommend the work of Dr. Ernst Zurcher, titled “"Lunar Rhythms in Forestry Traditions - Lunar-correlated Phenomena in Tree Biology and Wood Properties".
- How much moonwood do you have in your inventory? Due to the nature of harvesting and drying process, our stock is limited and there may be a waitlist for larger commercial projects. However, we utilize all of our storehouses in Austria and Germany to ensure that we always have enough on hand.
- What kind of superior qualities does moonwood have? Moonwood prevents infestation of insects, causes less cracking, splitting or warping of wood, no toxic wood preservatives are needed, longer durability and lower carbon footprint.
- How is moonwood dried and what percentage of moisture is achieved? The trees are left to dry in the forest with their bark, the crown of the tree, and a few side branches with needles left intact. This reduces the amount of cracking & warping that occurs as the timber dries out. By propping the stem up and drying with branches and bark, the gravity helps the tree to pull the last traces of sap to its branches. At below 20% moisture content, wood is protected from fungi and below 8-12%, it is protected from insects. This natural resistance is the basis of wood preservation and therefore ensure that our wood is below 12% moisture content at most.
- Why is your product fire resistant? Holz100 is fire resistant because solid wood does not burn but only becomes slowly charred. Exactly as such, a wooden block is the Holz100 solid wood wall connected in layers with wooden dowels. Holz100 was able to take the static load capacity for 150 minutes of flame treatment at 900 - 1000 ° C. Thus, Holz100 far surpasses any fire protection standard: 3-5 times better fire safety than reinforced concrete, brick ceilings and stud structures.
- How can I repair my walls and roof after fire? An additional benefit to heavy timber is the ease of repair after a fire. With a burning rate of 0.7 mm/min, the charred sections can visually be assessed and evaluated for residual capacity, and the damaged timber can then be cut away and replaced. This is in contrast to steel, which buckles under extreme heat. In light timber frame constructions the walls and floors are typically encased in non-combustible gypsum plasterboard to provide protection from fire. This provides the same level of fire resistance as a completely non-combustible material.
- Do you have any evidence or scientific support for the fire resistance of wood? We have done extensive research and testing, resulting in certified fire resistant values from renowned institutions in Europe. Please feel free to request to take a look at our test results and certifications as required.
- Soundproofing has always been a problem for wooden homes. Does Holz100 offer better soundproofing than other building materials? We offer a specialized soundproofing wall that offers up to 63 dB in airborne sound insulation. It requires no additional sound insulation and we have built one of the quietest hotels in the world.
- Do you have and evidence or scientific supports for that? We have done extensive research and testing, resulting in certified soundproofing values from renowned institutions in Europe. Please feel free to request to take a look at our test results and certifications as required.
- What are the R-values of Holz100?
Standard wall: R 1.64 per inch
Thermal wall: R 1.83 per inch
Wood Fiber: 2.88 per inch
H100-W17 standard: 10.97 m2K/W
H100-W30 standard 19.36 m2K/W
AW01 standard R 25.5 thermal R 26.75
AW02 standard R 24.35 thermal R 26.56
AW03 standard R 25.16 thermal R 26.41
AW04 standard R 32.55 thermal R 33.79
AW05 standard R 31.85 thermal R 34.05
- What is your insulation material? Our building system itself also insulates, not requiring additional insulation material. However, if needed, we recommend that you use natural wood fiber insulation from Gutex or 475.
- How does Holz100 have better thermal performance than regular wood? Holz100 has better thermal performance due to the layering of cross-laminated wooden boards, grooves milled into the thermal Holz100 walls to act as microscopic air cushions without circulation as well as a tongue-and-groove installation that enables passive house airtightness values.
- What are the differences between a Holz100 Standard and Thermal wall? What is the difference in price? Thermal walls are thicker in width, and have grooves milled into the layers of wood as integrated structural insulation which function as microscopic air cushions without circulation and reduce the wall’s thermal conductivity which results in a substantially improved thermal insulation. The difference in price is according to the volume of wood used, which in this case depends on the width of standard and thermal wall being compared - but generally, the Thermal wall would cost more than the Standard Holz100 walls.
- How is Holz100 allergy free? The home is suitable for allergy sufferers because of the fungal resistance of the exclusive moonwood we use.
- How is Holz100 dust resistant? Solid, natural wood without any additives or finishes provide a natural reduction in household dust. Floors, walls and ceilings made of untreated wood will not affect the natural occurring electromagnetic fields in your home negatively.
- How can Holz100 Canada screen up to 99.9% of harmful high frequency radiation? Contrary to all expectations, the building material wood - tested in the form of non-glued, fully solid Thoma Holz100 walls - shields considerably better than, for example, brick variants or lightweight construction systems.
- Can my phone and wifi still function? Yes, it will take maneuvering of duplicating wifi sourcing and utilizing the phone near windows - depending on the layout of the building and wall thicknesses.
- What are the health impacts of high frequency radiation? It is classified as possibly carcinogenic, and potential threats include the body’s circadian rhythms, immune system, and disrupting the electrical / chemical signals communicated through the cell membranes. Symptoms may include, but are not limited to headache, numbness, paresthesia, malaise and skin erythema
- Is this house environmentally sustainable? All Holz100 elements are renewable, recyclable, and therefore has a zero-waste, carbon-free lifecycle as it contains no traces of additives such as retardants, preservatives, toxins and chemicals.
- How thick are the walls? The external walls are available from 17 - 36cm, from standard to thermal walls
- How does your system connect the wall, ceiling, and roof elements? Our building system is connected by a combination of tongue-and-groove and implementation of long nails specifically designed to maximize durability, air-tightness, strength and longevity.
- Where do I start building a Holz100 home? Start by designing your dream home with a personal architect. The plan will be sent to headquarters where it is quoted for price and prepared into a work plan once approved. Our technicians then transform the whole house into individual Holz100 components for the preparation of construction planning.
- What kinds of design could be built with this one? A Holz100 home can be built in any architectural style possible inside and out - design is limited only by your imagination. Just remember that Holz100 elements are only to be used from the first/ground floor and up, on a concrete foundation or basement.
- Is exterior finishing included? We provide you with the frame of the house, and it is up to you if you would like to finish your home with Holz100 materials as we offer flooring, siding/cladding, etc. or any other third-party contractors to your preference.
- Is the interior and exterior material different? The frame itself is 100% pure, unadulterated wood throughout and is homogenic, meaning that the material is consistent throughout.
- How can your product achieve waterproof, bug and mold resistant without any additives? There are countless inherent benefits to pure wood on its own, and we ensure mold and insect infestations through exclusively using moonwood which guarantees minimal sap and high quality in durability and longevity.
- Do you provide a finished home with Holz100? We provide you the framing of the home, which then you will finish the home with doors, windows, siding/cladding, roof shingles/panels and furnishing.
- Do I have to finish the walls with paint or drywall? Interior finishing of walls/ceilings are always optional and you may customize it however you like. However, we always recommend our clients to leave it as is for maximum health benefits of pure wood.
- Is Holz100 earthquake resistant? Yes, Holz100 has one of the highest earthquake resistance: all Holz100 buildings in Japan survived the 2011 earthquake in Fukushima unscathed.
- What makes Holz100 highly resistant / durable to earthquakes? The Holz100 system is not absolutely "rigid". Due to the wall construction made of dowelled parts, flexibility is obtained in the case of an earthquake which has an extraordinary resistance to horizontal accelerations occurring during an earthquake.
- What is a “prefabricated” home? Prefabricated homes, often referred to as prefab homes or simply prefabs, are specialist dwelling types of prefabricated building, which are manufactured off-site in advance, usually in standard sections that can be easily shipped and assembled.
- Is installation included? Yes, installation is included starting from the first floor upwards (concrete foundation on construction site is required)
- How long it will take to assemble a prefab home? Our record was assembling a 1,500 square foot home in one day.
- What is a dowel? A dowel by definition is “a peg of wood, metal, or plastic without a distinct head, used for holding together components of a structure”. Our dowels are bone-dried and made of beechwood to be very hard, durable and strong.
- How can dowels connect CLT without any use of glue or adhesives? The mechanically compressed and dust-dry hardwood dowels are hydraulically pressed in, they get moist in the process by absorbing additional ambient humidity, and swell up to connect non-detachably to surrounding wood. Synthetic resin glues or nails are not being used, so that the result is a solid wood wall (up to 3 x 8m in size, and up to 40cm thick), which contains nothing but pure wood.
- Where is the manufacturing located? In various locations across Austria and Germany.
- Why don’t you bring the harvesting and manufacturing into Canada? We are in the process of bringing manufacturing into Canada. Holz100 Canada Inc. is fairly new, being the first provider of Thoma Holz100 in North america starting only 2 years ago and this process will take at least 3 more years.
- What is the moisture percentage in the wood used for Holz100? Around 12%.
- What is the maximum wood moisture level to be used in building? 14%.
- How do you dry wood? We air-dry the wood in our specialized storage for a very long period of time.
- What kind of wood do you use? For structural purposes, we use Pine, Fir, Larch, and Spruce for the Holz100 building frame. For flooring, we have various types of wood available.
If you have any further inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com.